SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is now the time?
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2004

mmccoy is on a distinguished road
Is now the time?

I''m single, 56 YOA, in a ''forced retirement'' due to the lack of interest for someone my age in the hi-tech job market.

Both my parents passed away recently leaving me with about $100K in cash. Aside from the normal assets one accumulates (car, furniture, etc) I have one house paid for and a condo I''m paying about $1K/mo for.

I used to live on the coast of Ga (Little Tybee Island), was once a licensed Coast Guard Captain ("6-pack"), captained a 15 ton motorboat and sailed my restored an O''day 19 every chance I got. It''s been a while but I''m really no stranger to the sea or sailing. Since that time I''ve dreamed of buying a 30-32'' sailboat (Cheoy Lee or Westsail) and living aboard full time. I''ve read about cruising intensely and feel I''m capable if not ready to dump the ''normal'' life.

I''ve run across a well found 30'' wooden ketch. A real beauty with tons of character. I''d have to invest another $15-20K to finish her out but her recent survey says she''s in excellent condition (mainly just the cabin needs refitting).

I have the feeling if I don''t do it now I''ll burn thru the inheritance and never realize my dream.

Any thoughts? Am I just living in a fantasy world thinking I can just suddenly ''jump ship'' and start living aboard a 30'' boat?

It''s not the lifestyle I''m asking about (I''m single, no ties and am used to living alone in a small place). It''s the suddeness my decision making is being forced to take given the funds required to change to a cruising lifestyle (and my fear they will ''evaporate'' over time while contemplating whether it''s a right/wrong decision)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook