SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sealing my shrouds
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008

mike dryver is on a distinguished road
before you even consider sealing the deck you should check to see if your core is wet and your chain-plate holes that's what those things are called. you can use a moisture meter for this as well as removing the old caulk around plates and in contact with hull material. with that much room you should be able to stick a thin blade screw driver or even paper towel to make contact with core and see if it is wet. if wet you must find out how far in it goes and dry it out (sealant will not adhere to wet/damp core or metal). then ream out core around plate holes and fill with epoxy etc. find threads on this here in archives or other sight. you should remove plates for working room and also to to make surrounding holes smaller if possible so less caulk is needed and also so plates won't move as much which sounds like your prob. if continuously leaking. and then have cover plates made to go over chain-plates with small clearance around chain-plates. i would not use silicone as it does not adhere well to anything it really only makes a gasket. you should use a poly-sulfide to fill around chain-plates and put cover plates on when poly is freshly put down to bed it i would also make an inside cover plate unless there is a wood trim piece that fits around chain-plate.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook