SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is now the time?
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2004

mmccoy is on a distinguished road
Is now the time?

I''d not spoken about this with anyone close for fear of hearing ''are you NUTS!?!".

But bouyed by the support here I mentioned to some family (that is familiar with my situation) that I thought ''I might just buy a boat and live on it''.

Surprisingly they said ''you know what, if I were in your shoes that''s what I would do.. you have no ties...'' (etc.)

So I do think I''m going to buckle down, sell everything & the condo but keep the house that''s paid for.

Rough 1st pass calculations tell me I could buy a $40K boat and live off the remaining $60K for the next 8 years assuming an (avg) monthly living expense budget of $625. Heck, (aside from my mortgage & utils, etc.) that''s more than I spend now on myself.

I''d tuck the $$$ made via sales of my condo & other assets (and some other small investments I have) for emergencies. By that time I''d be 65 and either be ready to live on Social Security in my paid for house and/or have another plan and/or ready to chuck everything to spend my remaining days at sea.

As I mentioned, at one time I really was preparing for this but now I''m behind so it''ll take some time for me to rid myself of my landlubbers trappings. In the meantime I''m not spending one dime on anything that won''t put me on a boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook