SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wing, fin, or bulb...what are the trade offs?
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Wing, fin, or bulb...what are the trade offs?

First to answer Jim''s question, I was and am on the internet because ''Synergy'' is out of the water for a bottom job and I keep my work list and list of needed tools and supplies on my computer. I was just checking it before leaving for the boat.

To briefly touch on Langousta''s last post, a wing keel can be more stable than a shallow fin, but it generally is not as stable as a deeper fin. The wing keel''s greater stability than a shallow fin comes at a price of needing to be heavier and significantly higher drag than a deeper fin of equal stability.

While I have not spent muh time on Narragansett Bay, I would think that you should be able to get by with a draft of 5''-6" to 6''-0 and that should permit you to use a straight fin rather than live with the compromises of a wing keel. If you really are going to be gunkholing, then a wing keel is a really bad chose due to their tendancy to plant you when you do run aground. I am not much of a fan of the Catalina 34''s but that is a whole ''nother topic.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook