SailNet Community - View Single Post - comments on sabre 28, C&C 29, Catalina 30
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2008
flyingbits

flyingbits is on a distinguished road
Smile Love my C&C 29

I live in Toronto, close to the heart of C&C land. A few years ago, I had the privilege of lunching with George Cuthbertson (one of the C's). Love my C&C 29 (even though George reportedly did not -- I never asked him). Over the years, I've had the pleasure of sailing and racing on dozens of C&C yachts ranging from 24' to 41'.

Last year, after a number of refits to update and restore our C&C 29 MK1 from the previous owner's cruiser set-up to the C&C design intended racer/cruiser format, we blew away many other PHRF yachts on most upwind legs. So much for the rumor that the C&C sucks upwind.

Yes she is tender, but if she is sailed right, she does not round up. Down below I find her quite roomy and with good head room. I'm 5'10 and I don't bang my head.

Aside from her sleek, traditional lines and other great features, I truly like the fact that at 29 feet, she costs me a lot less in slip fees than other yachts that provide similar enjoyment and performance. We're parked on a finger dock and sandwiched between a fleet of C&C 34s. When I tell visitors that my yacht is not a 34 but indeed 5 feet shorter, they look at the surrounding yachts and think I'm crazy. It truly is hard to tell at a glance that the 29 is not a 34. And with the cost of slip fees today, 5 feet less on the dock for equal fun truly is crazy!

Pound for pound, I heartily believe that the C&C 29 is a terrific yacht and a terrific buy.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook