SailNet Community - View Single Post - Oh no not another one!!
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2008

welder4956 is on a distinguished road
Oh no not another one!!

Well i don't normally do these introduction forum messages but here goes.

I am in the 30ish year old bracket and i have come to be connected with this site through researching my biggest project (next to starting a family).

I am going to build a boat. It will be in the size region of 65'. I intend to retire on it and see bits of the world that i have so far missed and will miss by building a boat. I am competent crewman trained which i did with the army some time ago. It is not so much the sailing i want but the sailing of my creation that I'm after.

My background to this project is that i have my own small engineering firm and have been a coded welder for the past 18-20 years. I have built a great number of things from F1 cars in the UK to oil rigs in Dubai. I am now well settled in New Zealand where i am bringing up my family.

I am under no illusions and am aware that for every success story there is hundreds of failures. The things i need to get sorted and that i am spending the most time on are PLANS. I have done as much research as i can through the net on trying to buy ready made plans (just add money) to chartering my own designer and getting custom build drawings. As i have said the hull is not my fear factor. I will be building from either alloy or steel, still to decide. Have heard fores and against for both.

Well i think thats enough of an introduction for now. If anyone thinks there are some good threads to read or links to look at feel free to drop me a line. Please not all doom and gloom.

Wishing you all a Happy New Year

Matt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook