SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hello from the NC Coast
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2008

crispcrispcrisp is on a distinguished road
Hello from the NC Coast

Hello All,

I've been a "reader" of the site for quite some time and figured I would introduce myself and start firing off questions shortly thereafter. I live on Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina. I have spent time on the water since I was 6 weeks old though most of it under power. Took a sailing course at ages 11 and 12 learning to race optimist prams. Ever since then I have been fascinated with the idea of living aboard with that ultimate possibility of crossing an ocean (or three). Other facts about me: love to be in/on the ocean, fishing, surfing, swimming, diving, sailing...you name it...even went to school for marine biology with the hopes of never being taken too far from the salty air (it's worked so far).

I have recently entered the job market...and it has made me realize that owning a live-aboard can be accomplished especially since I have no dependants. So I am presently shopping for that first sailboat that I can call home.

I will also be starting a myriad of courses in 2009 beginning with coastal and celestial navigation in the winter, followed by my 100 ton license in the spring, and hopefully ASA 101-106 by the fall. I know this sounds like tons of time studying, but I have been sailing for years with no REAL instruction since I was a small child... and I figured it was time to get serious about it!!

So, happy holidays to all of you, and if you have any tips on things to watch out for, or experiences you have had, feel free to pass them my way, I am here to learn...

Crisp
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook