SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help me find my budget dream boat!
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2004

caswell is an unknown quantity at this point
Help me find my budget dream boat!

Thank you very much, Allen and Jeff,

Your information and advice is very useful.

What I''m trying to do is develop a list of possibilities before I go looking for a boat. I''m planning to tour harbours and yacht clubs as well as check the magazines and websites (I''ve heard that more boats are for sale than are advertised). The idea is to first get a good overview of the market including what boats I''m looking for, what the prices are like, things to watch out for, etc., etc. I have a relatively inexpensive surveyor lined up for Ireland and possibly the UK.

My budget, like everything else, is a trade-off!. The cheaper the boat, the sooner I can leave. The longer I wait, the more boat I can afford. Right now my budget looks about Euro 15,000 (US$18,000 or so), with another Euro 5,000 ($6,000) or so in equipment/maintainance/upgrades/provisions after purchase.

I guess another criteria for my search is that the boat should be available in Europe - preferably Ireland or the UK. Following your advice I did some research on the Tartan 27, but there don''t seem to be too many of them on this side of the Atlantic.

Right now (and after your input and some research) my list of possible boats includes a GRP folkboat, Marieholm IF Boat (International Folkboat), Marieholm 26 or 28, Albin Vega, Contessa 26, and Sadler 25, 26 or 29. I still have to check out some of the others you''ve mentioned!

Do you know anything about the Hurley 27?

Any and all other information or advice would be more than welcome.

Thanks again for all your help!

Kind regards,

Graham
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook