SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cruiser/Racer....Is it possible to be both?
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailChick20 View Post
While the racing bug has bitten me...I like to cruise just as much.
Dare I ask...Is it possible to love both?
I don't see why not--The Admiral and I do. In fact: It was a requirement on the part of The-Admiral-To-Be that whatever boat we bought be a performance boat. She didn't want to be sailing a "tub." We ended-up with a Pearson P30, described by Jack Horner as "...an attempt to meld the attributes of racing boats with those of family cruisers--sort of like rigging a mini-van to race at Indy." And, by all accounts, they succeeded. However: Such a boat is not going to be as fast as a pure race boat, nor as comfortable as a cruiser. Such is the way of compromises. Likewise: We'll probably never (attempt to) live on her for months at a time (we're still working up to a whole weekend), nor will we likely race the Mackinac with her. (Tho that latter is certainly easily w/in her capibilities.)

So, yes: You can love both, and you can have a boat that will do both "adequately," IMO. We have people in our club that do only one or the other, and others that do both.

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook