SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dickinson Alaska or Newport heater fuel consumption
View Single Post
post #10 of Old 12-31-2008 Thread Starter
Bilgewater
Hmmm

I haven't done this yet, I've been away from the boat for a few months. But I am going to try this soon.

You have less pipe than I do and the more pipe the better according to Dickinson. I now keep the fan under the burner going on the low setting full time when the wind is high and this improves it a lot.

The H cap is not designed properly in my opinion. I had this on a previous heater and had problems with rain getting into the burner bowl. The rain comes in the upright H usually at an angle, hits the horizontal centre of the H and runs along this and down the pipe and into the burner bowl. The bottom of the horizontal square tube should be angled down toward the H uprights so the rain can't drip in. The way it is designed with 2 straight rectangles it is a real problem out here on the wet coast and I don't see too many of them being used. I also had back draft problems with this design but it was a different stove with a much smaller diameter pipe.

I would think that adding the extra 22" of pipe you have would solve it but it would stick up pretty high. I do know that a lot of the fish boats around here with long pipes seem to have no problem and they go out in all kinds of weather.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse

Last edited by Bilgewater; 03-16-2009 at 05:49 AM.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome