SailNet Community - View Single Post - SF Bay - California Coast down to Central America
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2004

surf_n_turf is on a distinguished road
SF Bay - California Coast down to Central America

Hello all, I am very new to sailing and have just completed my basic keel and basic cruising courses. I have sailed on a limited amount of boats, and am now looking to start the process of buying one for myself. I read the boards here fairly completely, and need a limit bit more help.

I am thinking that this process is going to take about 2 years to get everything ready to go, and one of my first "to-do''s" is to begin by getting the right boat. From what I''ve read... Comfort, Function, Sailablity, and Price are all related, so I figured I would list my needs in those areas and maybe someone could point me in the right direction.

PRICE: Around 80K (should be ready to sail and look clean with some extras)

FUNCTION: San Francisco Bay down the coast to Baja and Mexico Proper. This is the boats main purpose. Is it reasonable to look for a boat that can do those trips as well as Costa Rica, Panama Canal and over to the Carribean as well? Not interested in sailing across the pacific or the atlantic, but Gulf of mexico and caribean would be a nice vacation if time and finance afford me the option. BUT THE MAIN PURPOSE SHOULD BE BAY - BAJA - MEXICO.

COMFORT - Would like to be able to sleep 4 with comfort and have it be a nice "sailboat spacious" place to eat and chill. If I had 6 on the boat I would expect some cramming, and maybe people sleeping in "super tight" quarters on overnight cruises. The occassion bender on the bay of 8 might be nice during the day.

SAILABILTY - This might be my number one qualifer. I am not as concerned with SPEED (although, I realize speed can help you stay out of storms, and get places in a hurry) as I am with stability and safety. I want a boat that (assuming my training continues to go well) will be safe in the areas mentioned above and be easy for 2-3 people to man. Not looking to solo. I know that no boat can make up for an inexperienced crew, or lack of skill, but I want to back my skill and upcoming experience with a "STABLE AND SAFE BOAT".

I am sorry if this isn''t enough information, I am just looking for some starting points so that I can focus my learning time and research in the right places.

IF I AM LIVING IN A FANTASY WORLD LET ME KNOW.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook