SailNet Community - View Single Post - skilled trades and cruising
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 01-01-2009 Thread Starter
hvacfellow

skilled trades and cruising

Hello All,

A quick introduction: I own an HVAC contracting company and I have just begun to manage a testing department at an HVAC manufacturer (candle at both ends!). I have the requisite licenses for heating, refrigeration, and air conditioning. I am also preparing to write for my Electricians ticket.

Now that that is out of the way, I am planning on selling it all and heading for open water within the next couple of years. A couple of questions that I have:
1) is there a need for skilled people (my skills: electrical/refrigeration) at the ports and marinas around the world? It would add piece of mind knowing that a revenue stream (even a small stream) could be maintained while cruising, potentially lengthening the amount of cruising we can do.
2) we are looking at various hull materials and are wondering if a steel hull is safer that a fibreglass hull against punctures and 'rubbing'
3) would a front sonar system combined with a fibreglass hull provide sufficient avoidance alarms to react to semi-submerged hazards?

I look forward to sharing our transformation from land to sea and of course I will have many questions for the knowledgable 'salts' who make up Sailnet.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Regards,
HVACfellow
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome