SailNet Community - View Single Post - skilled trades and cruising
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2009

hvacfellow is on a distinguished road
skilled trades and cruising

Hello All,

A quick introduction: I own an HVAC contracting company and I have just begun to manage a testing department at an HVAC manufacturer (candle at both ends!). I have the requisite licenses for heating, refrigeration, and air conditioning. I am also preparing to write for my Electricians ticket.

Now that that is out of the way, I am planning on selling it all and heading for open water within the next couple of years. A couple of questions that I have:
1) is there a need for skilled people (my skills: electrical/refrigeration) at the ports and marinas around the world? It would add piece of mind knowing that a revenue stream (even a small stream) could be maintained while cruising, potentially lengthening the amount of cruising we can do.
2) we are looking at various hull materials and are wondering if a steel hull is safer that a fibreglass hull against punctures and 'rubbing'
3) would a front sonar system combined with a fibreglass hull provide sufficient avoidance alarms to react to semi-submerged hazards?

I look forward to sharing our transformation from land to sea and of course I will have many questions for the knowledgable 'salts' who make up Sailnet.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Regards,
HVACfellow
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook