SailNet Community - View Single Post - Liveaboard: state of mind
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Ried, I agree with Tony that planning is key. I staring my plans when I was in college, as you, and the last year before moving aboard my wife and I lived in a portion of a small trailer in order to adapt to the space. For me, the "state of mind" is the desire for independence and self-reliance. Fourknots suggests the importance of this with the "terrorist attack" scenario, but it can be expressed with numerous events. I remember hiding out at anchor in a protected cove during a hurricane and enjoying my electricity, water, cooking and communications while the neighborhood ashore was without. We raised two children aboard, who now live ashore, and enjoyed the close family that comes with the lifestyle. We bought our first liveaboard sailboat in 1971 and have never owned a home ashore. We've spent years at a marina, working weekdays and sailing vacations and weekends and we've spent years fulltime cruising with ownership of nothing that is not on the boat. We are now in our sixties and starting our 38th year of living aboard. We are latitude coastal cruisers seasonally sailing from Maine to the Bahamas. We share community in about 20 ports that we frequent. I can not imagine making another choice in life for me. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook