SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cruising on Multihulls
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2001

capedory30 is on a distinguished road
Cruising on Multihulls

Geez, Jeff_H. Lighten up. Motoring in the intracoastal? Whoever heard of such a thing? Everyone motors in the intracoastal even monomorans. Sailing is much better once out in the Gulf. But hey, lots of cats and tris do have the option of sailing out of the channel, do you? They do sail flat that is true. I can put a drink down in some pretty bad weather and when I come back it''s still there, in the same place. And the quick snappy motion, is that worse than the slow rolling motion of a monomoran? To you maybe, but not necessairly to all. Motion sickness is an individual thing, not everyone is affected by the same motions. As for the small cats not faring well, check out smaller Prouts, Wharrams, Iriquiois and the F series from Farrier. These are pretty sucessful boats that have a lot of ocean crossings and circumnavigations under their shallow draft dagger boards. Dangerous? Most anything can be dangerous if used incorrectly, even your boat Jeff_H, not to mention cars, airplanes, even pencils, pens ladders whatever. The user just has to be aware of the designed use of whatever it is one is trying to use and use it accordingly. I presentlly have a "small" (under 35 ft.) 34ft Solaris cruising catamaran and fell perfectly safe whether motoring in the intracoastal with monomorans or out in the Gulf of Mexico sailing. So, all in all I''d have to say to all looking at a multihull you are in for a very different experience than what you may find on the usual run of the mill monomoran. And if you are motoring in the intracoastal and see a catamaran anchored over near some island in two or three feet of water with no monomorans around stop by and say hi.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook