SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bosuns chair
Thread: Bosuns chair
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2004

mmccoy is on a distinguished road
Bosuns chair

Absolutely agree re: treating bosuns chair with respect. *especially* if singlehanded.

Hard to believe someone would consider using the drogue to hoist himself up (how did he then expect get down?). But it''s a good story to underscore thinking things thru. It also underscores the vital importance of ''finding, fixing, replacing'' in the context of singlehanded sailing.

I just read where a U.S. Navy civilian worker fell 70'' to his death on Old Ironsides. While he was probably not in a bosuns chair the same principles apply (i.e. specifically, gravity)

No way would I EVER use a bosuns chair by myself without having thought things thru ''in general'', practiced extensively in a safe environment (calm, at the dock and ideally with ''spotters'') and even then, I would only go aloft by myself if I''d had *re-thought* the present situation thru completely. And then only if there was absolutely NO other choice.

In that particular situation of the ''stuck genny halyard inside a harbor'' in a singlehanded situation I think I would just have to cut the genny completely loose (and hopefully be able to recover it). Absurdly expensive solution, yes but otherwise providing a 100% chance I''d live to tell about it.

Finally, I appreciate your own personal experience. It reinforces my decision to obtain a ''harness'' type bosuns chair (and not just a simple slat seat).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook