SailNet Community - View Single Post - Here''s another what should
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2004

wallm is on a distinguished road
Here''''s another what should

I recently completed a rather ill fated charter from Ft. Lauderdale to the Abacos. I will start by admitting my own culpability in the following scenario. We had to motor across the Gulf Stream and all the way out to our first anchorage on the Little Bahamas Bank. We managed to run aground on the way into the anchorage (we were going in on the correct range. There has been a depth change since the last guidebook publication. That''s a different story). Some Bahamian fishermen came by and we attached the main halyard to their boat to get some heel. Since we had not had a chance to have the main up we had not noticed that the charter company sent us out with the jam cleat open and no stopper knot in the cockpit end of the main halyard. So you can guess what happened. The fishermen pulled away and the entire halyard went off with them! So, we motorsailed with just a genoa for the next few days. We could not get to a place to get the main halyard worked on. So, this episode brings up several points, most of which I do not want to discuss. However, I have been wondering what one would do if one''s main halyard were to break and pull through. Most mast assenders seem to attach to the main halyard (which by definition is not an option in this problem) or to a spinnaker halyard (which we did not have). Even if I could have gone up the mast I am not sure what I would have done. I do not know that I would have known how to drop the halyard through the mast and fish it out of the opening at the bottom. Any thoughts (other than check the jam cleat and stopper knot next time or get Dodge''s 2004 Guidebook which mentions the new depth of the anchorage instead of using the 2001 version).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook