SailNet Community - View Single Post - If ya got a second 85 40''farr vs 76 42'' c&c
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
If ya got a second 85 40''''farr vs 76 42'''' c&c

I am assuming that the 1985 40 foot Farr is actually a Farr 1220 and not a 40 foot Farr designed IOR race boat from that era. The 1220 is a longer, later update to my own boat, which is a Farr 11.6. They were both designed as typical New Zealand or Australian style cruisers. Cruising in these areas means lots of light air and lots of heavy going. It often means covering very long distances in exposed conditions. In that regard these boats are intended to deal with very changeable conditions and are quite robustly engineered. They are quite fast for a cruising boat of that era and have had a good track record offshore. My boat has proven to be easy to sail (often single-hand or with one other crew person) across a wide range of windspeeds and conditions. I find that my boat has a wonderfully comfortable motion even in a short chop. NZ and AUS boats tend to be a little less plush that N. American and EU boats but things really work well on them. They seem to go in for good seaberths and workable galleys (although a bit on the small size).

The 1976 C&C was an IOR design from the period that made the IOR rule notorious. These are boats that really took large crews and large sail inventories to sail well. They would not be my idea of a good offshore boat.

There were several 39 foot Pearson models. While they are reasonable coastal cruisers, they make little sense as distance cruisers. But of you meant by, "ocean going boat" a boat that could jump offshore at LIS and go to Maine, the Pearson would be fine for that purpose.

Regards,
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook