SailNet Community - View Single Post - FL bottom paint help
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2001

jack_patricia is on a distinguished road
FL bottom paint help

Dogwhatever:

We''ve kept a boat in St. Pete for some years now, so our experience is in waters somewhat similar to the Keys. I''d highly recommend either Trinidad or the new form of Trinidad. More recently we have carried this paint throughout the Caribbean, where it''s continued to perform well. Friends on another boat spending the Spring in the Bahamas after a year''s cruising (mostly in Florida) report similar results.

Divers in St. Pete that I''ve met/used/talked with will ONLY recommend one of the Trinidad products; that''s how good it is. After our first bottom job since buying the boat, I did in fact get 3.2 yrs from 2 coats (& 3 at the waterline). It finally failed at the rudder & stern area, where the boat had constant sun exposure and therefore got the most cleaning action from me. However, I dove the boat regularly, scrubbing lightly every 4-6 weeks in the warm months & 8-10 weeks in the cold months. This allowed easy cleaning (and less paint removal) and better performance.

In Trinidad (the island nation), the SeaHawk 44 product (a hard paint like Trinidad)is recommended by the local yards, and I''m switching to that simply due to the widespread view its the optimum paint.

Jack Tyler
Aboard WHOOSH, lying Port of Spain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook