SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dinghy Advice
Thread: Dinghy Advice
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
Duck,

I have a 34-foot boat on Chesapeake Bay (a Beneteau 343) and I have an Achilles LSI104 (10'4") inflatable with an air floor. The 10HP Bravo bellows pump that came with it pumps the boat up in about 10 minutes. I keep the dink stowed in a cockpit locker then lug it up on deck to inflate and launch it.

Overall, it works out pretty well for me. Lugging the 90lb rolled-up dinghy is not much fun, but I prefer it over having davits.

I power the Achilles with a 6HP Tohatsu that works well. It won't put the boat up on plane with two adults on board, but that's not really a priority for me. I'm going to play around with the outboard tilt (trim??) setting this spring to see if that changes anything. The Tohatsu uses an external fuel tank. We do a lot of exploring with the dink, so I'd personally be concerned about range with an internal tank. However, I've never owned an OB with an internal tank, so I have no actual data to judge by.

Another nice thing is that we take the Achilles with us on vacation and the roll-up airfloor boat stows easily in the car. No trailer necessary.

Last edited by painkiller; 01-07-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook