SailNet Community - View Single Post - Gelcoat Crazing
Thread: Gelcoat Crazing
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2004

paulk is on a distinguished road
Gelcoat Crazing

Sounds like you may have done this before. Crazing is often just cosmetic, but bears checking out because if it isn''t, things can go South very quickly. Testing the area around the crazing for crackling or crunchy sounds when you step or press on it will give an indication of a problem. Crazing on our 20+ yr -old deck was well filled by the primer coat for Interthane Plus. Four years later, the paint is now starting to show real wear, and needs spot re-application.
The prep work for the one-part and the two part polyurethanes are about the same. The two part costs perhaps 50% more (this may have gone up due to oil hikes caused by the war in Iraq), but lasts (as above) about four seasons . One-part
polyurethane that I tested on our deck didn''t last two months, and on dinghies I''ve used it on, (Optis, Dyers, Blue Jays) it has barely held up to the wear and tear of a single season. (I learn slowly.) You can figure out which way you want to go.
On a cruising boat, the labor is EXTENSIVE. After sanding, I took 3/4 of a day just to mask off our 36'' boat''s deck and fittings. If I had spent more time, it would have come out better. Paint gets onto everthing, even if you''re being "careful". The solvents are also quite noxious -- wear a respirator or activated carbon filter! If you follow the directions, it comes out looking very good.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook