SailNet Community - View Single Post - Went to the boat show today...
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2009
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Went to the boat show today...

...someone needs to tell everyone that there's a recession going on because it looks like an awful lot of folks missed the email.

Much shopping and spending of money occurring.

Not a lot of sailboats exhibiting (nothing new about that) but a couple that weren't there last year. There was a Lagoon catamaran available for boarding and inspection - somewhere around 37 feet or so and selling for just north of $500K (Cdn) sailaway.

I think that the buyers for these boats must be limited to the neophyte trade. The boat was constructed of fibreglass that flexed under my weight and copious amounts of particle board or some such thing covered with a very unprepossessing 'wood look' plastic laminate. There is no place for particle board on a boat. The overall effect was half RV and half cheap motel.

Incredible to think that there is a market for this.

Jeanneau was on show - like a Catalina but not as well made. C&C, Hunter, Beneteau, etc. Looked like there were more dinghies this year. There was a brand from Eastern Europe - TES - that had a 28 footer there. Didn't look too closely at it but it looked like a better sailer than the 24 foot model they were showing last year.

Hunter is producing a MacGregor knock-off. 'Breeding will out' as my mother was fond of saying.

Island Packet was showing a boat for what I believe is the first time in Toronto - or at least it is the first time in my memory. This is a well-built boat. Not too taken with the berth arrangements but this is the first offshore-worthy boat I have seen at the boat show in a long, long time. I will think seriously about buying an Island Packet when the time comes.

Priced at just over $400 (Cdn) - a far, far better value than the Lagoon.

Last edited by Sailormann; 01-11-2009 at 03:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook