SailNet Community - View Single Post - Went to the boat show today...
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2009

patrickrea is on a distinguished road
Show impressions: Lots of people looking but then again it was the first day. I saw lots of people doing the finance thing on 14-20' power boats. Lots of people buying those Shamwow towels (They do work, Mom bought them at the show 10 years ago). Lots of people buying bits and pieces.

The admiral and I went on board the Delphia 37. Nice boat and oddly enough the only one without a huge line to step on board. Nice systems installation. Lots of real wood - not laminate. The electrical installation was absolutely stunning. Deck and cockpit were laid out really nicely.

J105 and 115 were on display as well as the Tartan 3700 and a couple of Beneteaus. I liked the lines on the Jeanneau. Overall I found the sail section MUCH smaller than last year. Lots of gear on display. A good selection of dinghys. Lots of clubs trying for memberships. Discovered a club I will stay away from based on the 2 members at the show (Lakeshore). Met 1 club that had really (REALLY) nice people representing (Etobicoke Yacht Club).

NASA instruments are available now in Canada under the name VMG Marine. Nice looking stuff and a steal compared to the Raymarine stuff. The wind indicator, transducer and cable at CDN$370!?!?! A combo depth/ speed for CDN$315!?!? I am headed back to put down a $100 deposit on those and then I get the delivery in April.

Lots of big huge gorgeous power boats that will need a second mortgage to fuel up. Lots of Bass boats and wakeboard boats. Chris Craft had a very nice runabout. Hunt (As in C Raymond Hunt) had a very nice boat on display. As then owner of a Bertram (Also a Hunt design) I was happy to see it. The

Engine Manufacturers were trully represented. Right up front with huge displays. How often do they think people need to repower? My Bertram is on its 2nd engine since 1964 (replaced an in-line 6 130hp with a 260hp 5.7 litre V-8 beast), my Atomic 4 is 30 years old. I did blow a 20hp Merc outboard a few years ago but it was 20 years old and had been abused by 3 teenagers its entire life (Brother, sister and I - Georgian bay rocks and fishing).

All in all, not a bad show but not a great one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook