SailNet Community - View Single Post - Galley Refit
Thread: Galley Refit
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2009

DaleDoll is on a distinguished road
Galley Refit

Hi everybody!

My husband and I are refitting our Catalina 27 - our first boat. We intend her ultimately for coastal cruising in a couple of years. Until then, she's on a South Texas lake. In the midst of the plethora of projects, large and small, looms the Galley Refit. She wasn't originally ordered with a complete galley - I'm lucky in that I have her original spec sheet, so I know what came from Catalina what was added/subtracted subsequently. We've decided on an Origo alchohol/electric two-burner stove, a rebuild of the icebox with more modern insulation, and leave the sink/foot-pump water system as it is. I can stand that. However, the counters... Honestly, they aren't all that bad, but the cutout is absolutely wrong for the stove. What's the opinion on counter materials? Corian - pricey? Tile scares me because 1) the backerboard alone is very heavy and 2) boats flex more than land-based kitchens, I would think, which might lead to problems. Formica again? That's what's there and they're making pretty Formica these days. Am I worried about nothing?

Thanks!
Debbi
s/v Gypsea
1977 Catalina 27
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook