SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any Cal 22 Owners?
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009

NotQuiteCapnRon is on a distinguished road
Soapy,

Enjoyed a great year of sailing with my Cal 22 here on Taylorsville Lake in Kentucky. I left her in the water for the winter, so I can get out occassionally when weather permits....possibly today. Had a great sail on Friday last week.

I recently added a rigid boom vang from Garhauer as suggested by another Cal 22 owner in this forum. Only sailed with it a few times this fall, but I like it. We do have some gusty/shifty winds on our lake, so having the reef system easy to single hand with the rigid vang is a great asset. Makes me feel much better about setting out when I know it might blow 15-18 knots. Between the easily reefed main and the genoa furling, I can get appropriate sail area in minutes by my onsie. I'm probably not supplying any new info here, but in heavier winds, my Cal handles much better with reefed main and a little genoa out than under full main alone. Much better control through tacks. Since our lake is fairly narrow, I do a lot of tacking. No time for the weary in a blow on Taylorsville Lake. You get from one shore to the other pretty quick sometimes.

I also purchased set of the original (Pryde) sails for my Cal 22 this fall. Lucky find. I'm not going to put them on until next spring though. Put a new Tahatsu motor on her too. I probably sailed about 80 hours worth of day sails on her in 2008.

Sent along a couple of "Callie" photos...pre rigid vang.

I was not aware that Cal made a 22 in 77?

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Callieheadinout.jpg (92.5 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg Callie 08.jpg (79.5 KB, 256 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook