SailNet Community - View Single Post - Which Laptops Has Survived Life Onboard?
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddrtownsend View Post
I'm not out there yet [but will be April 15, woo hoo] but right now I have a work laptop, a Mac at home, and an older Compaq laptop that is mine. Besides iTunes I don't keep much on any of the machines. I have a 1GB thumbdrive I keep what I need on.

Also, if I want a more failsafe, I send myself an email with an attachment and save important documents on gmail's server.

I am looking at getting one of the larger flash based external harddrives. And perhaps an ipod. I back up what little I keep on all three machines and I back up the flashdrive regularly.

For the penguiny lurkers, my laptop has a small Win2K slice on it [for a side job], the rest is Xubuntu, very fast and up-to-date as well. I had Slackware on it, but I didn't have time to hand dig everything. I miss it but it is gone.

TrT

Ok, you now have my attention

Have you thought about an Eee PC? They're small, light weight, low power consumption, and cheap to replace if you have to. Plus they come with Linux (Xandros or you can install Eeebuntu) preinstalled.

Oh, as for the WinXP slice? Who needs it? Load up Virtualbox or VMWare and run it in a natvie mode.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Meet me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook