SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Secrets to Smart Boat Negotiation
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009
Dodging Coconuts

CaptainFredGreenfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk View Post
I guess if a seller knew you were bidding on multiple boats simultaneously, he/she might take you less serious than you'd prefer or may rather deal with someone who is more focused. I know that I'd personally rather deal with someone interested in my boat more so than who makes the best deal.
One other thing which strikes me is that buying a boat is very much an emotional decision as compared with being strictly economic and your scenario sounds more like someone in the used car wholesale business than someone looking for a boat.
Also, don't know what you mean by "diffusing the contenders" - is that a euphemism for undermining an otherwise legitimate potential buyer?
Who said to tell the sellers you were looking at more boats?

I didn't write anything about that.

I also did say look at a LOT of boats, and decide on 10 that you might really want to own. I didn't say go to an auction and buy one if the price is right so you can put it on your lot and sell it.

But lets assume someone, who had looked at a hundred boats (maybe a small exaggeration), but finally found a few that clicked with them in what they want, came to you, who is selling a boat and after looking at your boat said,

"Hey I've looked at a lot of boats, and I really like yours. Its got a lot of the things I really want. I've got a few more to look at but I could see myself owning yours. Do you mind if I ask you a few questions?"

you would then say,

"Well if you're looking at other boats then you can't be serious about mine. I won't answer your questions... be gone, ya scurvy dog!"

?

C'mon. I've sold many boats over the years. I have one for sale right now. Everyone who has come to look at it has looked at other boats. I feel happy that they think enough of it to come all the way to my marina (its a PITA to get to if you've never been there) just to look at my boat and potentially buy it. This of course, after I put the pants on them as a seller over the phone to make sure its worth my time AND theirs to come and look at the boat.

"diffusing the close contenders" is what I said, and no, what I meant is, close contenders being the boats a buyer has been looking at very strongly.. the top 5. If you can only buy one and have had contact with the other four, the polite thing to do is call the others, thank them for their time, and wish them good luck.

There's nothing shady going on here matey, I'm just trying to give novices some clues on how to buy right and get a good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarthaT View Post
Good write up, some good thoughts in there
Thank you, don't know what the deal is with the video you posted but I can't see it, only saw it in your quote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My Sailing Advice, Tips, Tutorials Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CaptainFredGreenfield; 01-13-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook