SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Secrets to Smart Boat Negotiation
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainFredGreenfield View Post
I made the comment at the end of the Step 2 part:

" Once youíve made the commitment, donít think about it - youíve researched the market, youíve decided on the boat you want - subject to a survey, and sea trial if needed - buy the boat and be happy!"

That's because of 2 reasons - 1 I didn't want to detail sea trials and surveys, 2) I didn't want anyone to use those as part of the wouldjatake negotiation. I believe most should believe a respectable looking boat that is for sale would pass a sea trial and survey. Only once they are ready to make a real offer and whip out the checkbook should they make the offer pending a sea trial and, if necessary, a survey. Surveys are expensive, and not all boats (such as under $3,000 trailered boats), need one. n But again, I will detail surveys and sea trials in a future post.
My point is that to add that phrase to your "wouldjatake" may have an impact on the bottom line figure that comes out of the seller's mouth. Now, I, as a buyer, may believe that the boat will pass survey, but does the seller? If he does, if he is confident in his boat, then fine. It won't change his bottom line. If he doesn't, if there may be some issue(s) that I, the buyer, overlooked, or he may not have fully disclosed, then hearing those magic words may make his bottom line even more bottomer, or may encourage him to add some additional disclosure. This may help the buyer decide whether to take the next step and whip out the chequebook, or move onto the next boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook