SailNet Community - View Single Post - water ballast question
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
I'm not a fan of the 26 Mcgreg.. as they seem to be poor motorboats and worse sail. the interior is not that spacious and I would be concerned that the water ballast if left in the boat would "grow" some interesting biology.
There are several trailerable boats in the 25-30' range that don't have water ballast and are much better in many ways than the 26.
If constrained by financial considerations, the good news is now is a great time to buy a sailboat as many are becoming available due to the ecomomy .
Before the economy issue sailboats were cheap now they are almost paying to get rid of them ! I just sold a 24' bayliner Bucc for a couple hundred dollars just to be rid of it from my yard ! The guy wanted an inexpensive boat an I obliged. I still have the dual axle trailer for it, he didn't want it !
I thought it was worth more than the Boat!
The Bayliner Bucc's are extremely roomy and can be aquired for very little money. They are looked down upon by many sailors as they are not considered in the same catagory as Bene's and pearsons,etc.
However I found my 32' center cockpit at anchor in the same waters as many other boats worth 10-20 times as much and it didn't diminish the experience, keeping $20-100,000.00 in my pocket !
Actually, I was able to invest in the more important aspects of cruising-solar,generator,good dingy and motor,anchors, oven/stove,refrig,5cu. Ft. freezer,Icemaker,woodstove,Nav equip,radios,tv, and a host of other creature comforts.
I would guess it is probably a great ego boost sitting at anchor and cruising on a $100,000.00 or more boat. But when I traversed the northeast 2 years ago during the fall and met many cruisers/sailors w/ expensive boats many had limited creature comforts. No heat,no refrig,no generator, little or no enclosure for the cockpit. Not to mention the inconvenience of trying to locate ice every couple of days during the summer months.
My advice is buy a sound inexpensive boat in a size you can manage and spend money wisely after getting aboard . as you'll find that what you think you need will be different that what you actual use.
Have fun.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook