SailNet Community - View Single Post - Outboards for sailboat
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2001

marram is on a distinguished road
Outboards for sailboat

I also have a 2600# disp, 26ft sloop (same boat as rbh1515) and it has a Nissan 3.5hp 2 stroke. With little/no current I make about 5kts SOG in forward, almost the computed hull speed. I don''t think I need more power than that. It is very loud (forget about hearing the VHF), vibrates the whole boat and has a tiny internal tank with gravity feed only and that needs refilling every 40 minutes or so (at full throttle) from a gerry can. If you are in a slip and would like to back in or out, a motor with FNR gears that can throttle up in R would be a better bet. The Nissan 3.5A starts in gear and to go in R you turn the motor around. If you throttle up at all, the plastic fitting that is supposed to stop the motor from kicking up slips its coupling. I''m on a mooring so I don''t really use reverse, and this little thing is fine for my everyday needs. But not being able to hear the VHF and the probability of spillage while refueling are not exactly endearing features.

Rob - how does the C26 like having 50# plus fuel on its tail? Does the external tank fit into the starboard locker?

--Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook