SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cat -vs- Mono ?
Thread: Cat -vs- Mono ?
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2004

henryvand is on a distinguished road
Cat -vs- Mono ?

We just switched from a mono to a cat. We had a Beneteau 331 and now sail a PDQ32. We wanted more room and more cruising comfort without a deeper draft. After a couple of charter experiences we made the switch.
The cat sails faster on all points of sail except when going hard to windward where she does monohull speeds if you try to point high. You don''t feel the speed on the cat - at 7 knots on my mono I thought I was really moving - 7 knots on the cat is no big deal.
The comfort factor has worked as hoped for. No more sleepless nights due to hull slap under the aft cabin, no pointy beds, berths much easier to get in and out of, more privacy when sailing with guest aboard, etc. The large foredeck is also very popular with the admiral and guests. Handling the asymmetrical out of it''s stowage location in the forward hull is much easier than dragging it forward from a locker under the cockpit seats.
Docking did not prove to be a problem for me as my slip was 18 feet wide and the cat is 16 so it fits nicely. Handling under power with two engines is great also making docking a breeze.
I know cats are not everyone''s cup of tea but most who switch do not regret it. Do your homework however as there are big differences in performance and livability between different boats. I found Charles Kantor''s book Cruising in Catamarans very usefull.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook