SailNet Community - View Single Post - DE, Cape May, to New England, single handed, looking for advice
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Jasper,

What size boat are you bringing back and from where on the Delaware. What is the mast height.

I have done the trip from the Chesapeake to NY and various Jersey inlets 12 times. I actually lived in Ocean City NJ for 18 years before moving here in the Baltimore/ Annapolis area.

Assuming you can make Cape May in one day (the current is fierce when against you on the Delaware River) If your mast is less than 55ft you can duck in the Cape May Canal and save 3 hours from going around the whole Cape and not have to enter Cape May harbor from the Atlantic side. You will be motoring the whole time on the Delaware to beat or run with the current.

There is a good anchorage near the Coast Gurd Station. There are lots of fishing boats and a good tide change (5 ft or more) and a good current to anchor there. We usually stay at Utschs Marina a very friendly family owned place at the foot of the Garden State Parkway Bridge. Nice restaurants a food markets close by also.

Since you are single handing I would suggest 40mi approx trips and coming in inlets. There are really only 3 relatively safe inlets in NJ if you dont have local knowledge. They are Cape May, Atlantic City, and yes Manesquan. Manesquans tides and current are no stronger than Atlantic City or Cape Mays, The train c breeze talks about can be annoying but lets up after 9:30 pretty much. Since I have lived at the Jersey Shore 18 years and have also done Barnegat, Little Egg, and Great Egg Inlets many times I have good local knowledge, but all three can be very treacherous with sifting shoals as wells as very rough in the afternoons usuallly with opposig outgoing tides and on shore breezes. I avoid all except Barneget and only in good conditions there. We plan on our trip to go from Cape May to Barnegat, but will duck into AC if we dont think conditions will be good when we would get up there. It is a very dangerous inlet with a shoal in the middle forcing you to skirt the rock jetty.

Your route should be Cape May to Atlantic City to Manesquan to behind Sandy Hook or Liberty Marina at the foot of the Hudson, Battery and East rivers for the trip up to the LI Sound.

There is an intercoastal route very narrow from Atlantic City to Manesquan behind the islands which is very very narrow and 8 bridges from Toms River to Manmesquan which must open if the weather is truly miserable on the ocean. I have done this a few times also, but the channel although well marked is very very narrow. The point Pleasent canal is also got a current.

I have lots of info on Marinas and great places top anchor, eat, fuel up if you want to PM me.

Single handed,,,new boat...I might look for someone to help or even hire a captain to split the duties with. You may even get some volunteers here if you ask for some of the legs.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook