SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cat -vs- Mono ?
Thread: Cat -vs- Mono ?
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2004

mdougan is on a distinguished road
Cat -vs- Mono ?

Last year, a good friend bought a PDQ32 cat at about the same time I bought my Westsail 32 monohull... we''ve alternated trading off crewing each other''s boats.

Without the discomfort of excessive heeling, he tends to sail with full sail in 25-30kt winds (who knows how much he''s stressing his rig), whereas I tend to put a reef in my big gaff-rigged mainsail at 15-20kts.

With his dual engines, he can spin around in circles in the fairway of the docks where I can''t even make a 90 degree turn with my full keel.

On the other hand, I find that the awkward motion of the cat in any kind of swell is very annoying... they are often called puke generators.

You''ll occassionally get a huge slap of water hitting the hull between the pontoons, which is not good for your nerves, or probably the hull either.

Personally, the feel of the way a monohull moves through the water, or any appreciable swell is much more comfortable to me, and in fact, that feel is really what I call "sailing", not just the fact that I''m pushed over the water by the force of the wind....

I''d say for short hops and daysails where most of your time is spent at anchor or docked, and comfort is primary consideration, the cat is a good choice...

For long distance cruising, or just for the enjoyment of the feel of the boat moving through the water, I think you might like a monohull more...

But, your only real hope is to try out both options... perhaps by chartering each type of boat for a week... then make an informed choice!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook