SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are you a do-it-yourselfer?
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009

Dick Pluta is on a distinguished road
My favorite all time quote is from the Water Rat in "The Wind In The Willows"..."There is simply nothing quite so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats".

I work on my boat because:

a. I'm basically cheap
b. I do a better job than most of the "pros".
c. I enjoy it
d. and most important. It is of primary importance to me that I understand and can maintain all the systems of my boat. I can't count on anyone else to know what to do and how to do it, or, for that matter, having someone there to do it. I recall leaving an anchorage in the marshes of South Carolina on a trip down the ICW when the transmission failed on my Atomic 4 powered Pearson 30. No reverse. Half an hour with me and some end wrenches and we were under way again. It was a simple band adjustment that I learned to do when I rebuilt the engine. I could have called BoatUS for a tow and waited in a marina for a mechanic and spent a fortune. I didn't have to do that. Even more important, what would have happened if that happened somewhere where there was no BoatUS.

Being a do it yourselfer isn't just about saving money. It's about being able to survive anywhere with no one but yourself to count on. Isn't that the essence of cruising?

Dick Pluta
AEGEA
Nassau, Bahamas
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook