SailNet Community - View Single Post - Aprox 1 Year Cruise - Fall 2010
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009

kptmorgan04 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to kptmorgan04
Question Aprox 1 Year Cruise - Fall 2010

Hey All,
I first have to apologize for being MIA for a while. I have been suffering from PCS (Post Cruise Syndrome) I had an amazing Jan-May 08 in the Bahamas and have been bumming since being back in the States and paying for it all this past half year haha. We met some amazing people, saw and experienced a ton of beauty, and I got engaged while in Hawksbill Cay!
But now my boat is outside of Baltimore at Old Bay Marina wondering why she is in this cold and not headed back south.
The grand plan is for my wife and I to save up this next year and a half and depart for aprox a year starting late fall 2010 before we settle down wherever we are going to settle. I am roughly thinking we will be in the Bahamas late fall/early winter, then head through the Caribbean and get south of hurricane zone for the summer. Then start heading back north afterwards. Depending on how funds and the cruising is going we may extend the cruise to a year and a half.

We are a 36ft Ketch and it will be primarily just my wife and I but I will most likely have some help for some of the passages.

Items that I am going add/upgrade when boat is hauled out fall 09 and majority of pre-cruise work will be done: Definites: Solar (a panel most likely on the dinghy davits) & new AGM house batteries, newer used dinghy, replace worn dodger/bimini. Hopefully: replace head from electric to manual pump and replace fridge/icebox.
Other than that, we have a new Yanmar 4JH4E 56HP diesel that was installed right before we departed to the Bahamas last winter, year old sails and a portable honda generator to keep us topped off when the sun isnt shining.

Questions I already know I have: Boat and Medical Insurance? The boat for cruising the Caribbean and the Medical, we are both late 20's and healthy, but would like to look into something for emergencies.

I would welcome and appreciate any suggestions that anyone has on this.
I hope everyone head a great Christmas and New Years and for those that are cruising right now... you are a lucky bunch and I cant wait to join you!