SailNet Community - View Single Post - Heaving to on Tayana 37
View Single Post
post #2 of Old 01-15-2009
Chesapeake Sailor
Heaving to

I have heaved-to in 40-kt wind. My boat (HR-39) is of similar displacement (10-T) to yours - with a bit larger sail area.

I assume your Tayana-37 is the cutter rig version. In any case, she is a "long" if not full keel configuration and my boat is fin-keeled. My guess is that your full keel might behave, if anything, better than a fin while hove-to.

My boat is sloop rigged, but carries a stowable inner-forestay for use with a staysail. We heaved to with very good results in 40-knots with 4-6-foot steep chop. The mainsail was reefed to a deep #2 reef and the staysail (~200 sq ft) was rigged. The working jib was completely furled.

I eased both the main and the staysail sheets as though I were on a close reach then put the bow through the wind - leaving the staysail backwinded. I tightened the wheel lock nut with a bit of weather helm correction set in the rudder.

I was very pleased to see that the boat tracked nicely - forereaching at about 2-kt into the wind with no tendency at all to roll off to windward or leeward. Unremarkable results I suppose, but still a very nice surprise for a fin keel, semi-skeg rudder configuration boat. I think I went below for a snack of Stugeron.

My guess is that your Tayana will do quite well hove to.

Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome