SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hand held GPS
Thread: Hand held GPS
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2004

AJS is on a distinguished road
Hand held GPS

I too have recently puchased a Garmin 76 map and am very pleased. Battery life is also very good.
Previously I was a ''Magellan Man''. I had a Magellan 315 for 4 years and was pleased with it. It lost its waterproof seal this summer and died during a race. I hurriedly bought a Magellan Meridian Gold to use for the next race and was pleased with its function. However, the next morning it was fogged up! I returned it immediately and then did a little research since I now had some time to decide. It turns out that although the Meridian Gold had charting ability, charts for my area (eastern Canada) were not available and likely never would be as Magellan had no plans to make them available since the law changed re. electronic charts. I can''t believe that some marine stores in my area are even offering this unit for sale under these circumstances. I hope they are advising customers of the lack of chart availability.
I think Magellan has gone downhill since they were taken over by Thales.
Anyway, I now have a Garmin 76S that DOES have charts available for my area and that I''m so far pleased with. The mounting bracket is well designed as is the ext. power cord and Data cord.It also interfaced with my laptop without pain.
One thing that irks me: Both the new Magellan and the Garmin recquire you to agree to a disclaimer on the opening screen when you turn the unit on. Something about ''for reference only, you asume responsibility for use... blah,blah'' Geez, what has the world come to? Of course I assume responsibility for using the thing. Anyone who would place all of their trust in an electronic device with no plan for alternative means of navigating is ....well...come to think of it, I guess they''re the type of person that would sue a GPS manufacturer because their unit ran out of batteries or something. Sad.

AJS
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook