SailNet Community - View Single Post - When do you hang it up?
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
When do you hang it up?

Please forgive me, as I may offend some people here. I ask that you don't get upset or defensive, but I'm having a hard time understanding why so many "elderly" boaters continue to do something that is obviously so dangerous, and physically demanding. Just in the short time I've been here on sailnet, I've counted a handful of people lost at 'sea' and they all seem to be well north of the 50 year old mark.

Now I've seen some VERY spry grandparents before, but lets be real, the majority aren't, and yet they single hand on long coastal cruising or even going across oceans. This is something I don't understand, is it like the elderly driving? You know, the blue haired wonder who can't see over the wheel anymore, but doesn't want to give up that freedom? Even if it might mean putting others in danger, like other drivers/ boaters (coast guard).

When do you think its a good idea to throw in the towel? I know it'll come for me some day. When I can't grind a winch in a blow, I guess I'll buy a flying scot then, and become a lake sailor.