SailNet Community - View Single Post - Y'all Need A New or Another Mod
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
The mods have a tough job -- most of the time it's a thankless task. When it's going well, nobody notices them; when things slip through, there's a rebellion... There are throttles in place to limit the number of posts/emails that can be sent within a given time period -- while it can be frustrating to those of us (myself included) who want to report spam, it's there specifically to prevent to behavior none of us want to see.

The most effective moderation solutions I have seen involve hot word lists that filter posts and, if certain terms appear in the post, assign it to a queue to be reviewed by a moderator (the post is live until it is either approved by the moderator or rejected and deleted). Context is difficult to automate -- I think we've roll our eyes a bit when "seacock" get asterisked to "sea****". I can call someone an ass (or an AFOC), but you can't tell them to shove their seacock up their... (you get the picture). Moderation is a thankless task -- sometimes they seem heavy-handed and other times non-existant. They do great job 99.9% of the time, IMO -- especially for the compensation they receive.
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook