SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are you a do-it-yourselfer?
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009

N0NJY is on a distinguished road
Yes. I'm a do-it-yourself person.

I make my own antennas, I build radios. I can do all kinds of wood working. I can do metal work (except welding, I need to learn that). I can grow a garden, make my own beer, kill, clean and prepare my own meat. I can sew (use a sewing machine and I'm about to get a chance to enhance those skills on a sail repair).

My wife and I have always been self-sufficient - and taught our children most of the skills we know.

Might not be perfect at all of them or most of them, but some I'm damned good at. Some I pretty much suck at, but at least I can do a passable job.

Hell, I can even build stained-glass windows...

Then again, I subscribe to Heinlein's Theory of Humans -

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. " Robert Heinlein

Of the above, I've accomplished all but two at some point in my life and the only one I'm currently unsure of is "conn a ship". But, I got the theory down, I'm about to do it practically in a couple of months and it might just become my "real life" from now on.

As for "dying gallantly" - I'll wait for that time and hope I do it well.

moˈloːn laˈbe!

It's better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you're not.

Let those winds of change blow over my head,
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead - Jimmy Buffet
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook