SailNet Community - View Single Post - Heaving to on Tayana 37
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the reply Wayne. Yes the Tayana is full keel with a cutaway forefoot and a cutter rig. I've practiced heaving to only under moderate conditions (around 20 plus knots) with a full set of sails up trying to simulate more harsh conditions when I would notmally have a reef or two set and the yankee furled. The boat will slow to only about 2 knots, but the thing that bothers me is that I'm almost 90 degrees to the wind whereas I want to be about 45 to 50. If large seas were running that is not where I want the boat. I know if I furl up the yankee that I can get the boat to lie closer to the wind, but under higher wind conditions....I'm thinking that I might still have a problem getting it to point at 50 degrees. Were you able to get your boat to point about 50 degrees to the wind? Thanks for your input.

Lance

PS Plus with the wheel locked...as the boat rides up and down the large seas the wind will moderate in the troughs and pick up on the crest causing the boat to point higher in the higher winds and bear off in the troughs. Hopefully it does not bear off beam on.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook