SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cat -vs- Mono ?
Thread: Cat -vs- Mono ?
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2004

thorJ30 is on a distinguished road
Cat -vs- Mono ?

I like both :-)

however one point the mono hullers always seem to bring up is the windward performance or lack thereoff.

Sure I can go a few points higher with my J 30 and dont stall, depending on the wind I am even pretty fast.

However we beat EVERYBODY pointing with a 37 Lagoon last year in the BVI''s. That boat kicked ass on every point of sail. Sure we were a little slower pinching up, as far as I can remember around 9 knots versus double digit numbers. A lot of 40-50 foot Beneteaus and stuff had NO chance keeping up.

While we were almost lounging on the boat with beer standing on the cockpit table.

If I would have the money I would get the special PDQ 36 with daggerboards or a French one with boards. ( The Lagoon had no daggers and was tired from chartering the last 10 years, until she woke up with "us" on board )

Again I love my J but if I would have the dough and would be able to spend more time on the boat ( Bahamas etc ) there would be no question.

Thorsten

get a moring ball :-) instead of marina. And while traveling you gonna use your anchor and only occasional go inside a marina anyhow.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook