SailNet Community - View Single Post - What the **** is that noise?
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009
Rookie Skipper

TonyInNewportOregon is on a distinguished road
Question What the **** is that noise?

I'm a new liveaboard, and I expected certain sounds and a level of continuous movement. (I was on a 550 foot long cruiser in the navy, so I am not totally new to this.)

But the last few nights I've heard two noises that I didn't hear the first few, possibly because I got in so late those nights and was so exhausted.

The first is a rapid but short lived pounding sound upon the hull that sounds like high speed screws. (No, I don't think I'm being torpedoed.) My slip is 200 yards from the mouth of the marina, and the main channel is twice, possibly three times that far from the marina. Am I hearing -- and feeling -- the vibration of the screws of big fishing boats? And if I am, what are my chances of getting them to not sail past me when I am sleeping?? (Yea, yea ... that's like asking "Will my boat appreciate in value?")

The second is is the area of the mast and only audible when I am in the cabin. I thought it was wires and lines slapping the mast, but I have secured those away and the sound continues. In sailing movies -- "Master and Commander" for one, or "Bounty" -- you always hear the creaking of the boat. It almost sounds like that, but more metallic, and just above my head when I am in the "head".

Thanks,
TonyInNewportOregon
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook