SailNet Community - View Single Post - Aprox 1 Year Cruise - Fall 2010
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A good idea... and the stuff works. I've got two friends who recommended it to me, one is on year 14, the other on year seven.

It is also what I used on my boat two seasons ago, and all I had on the hull this past season after hauling out, was slime, which pressure washing took care of. While it is a bit more expensive than regular bottom paint, if you look at the long-term costs of it, it turns out quite reasonable.

If you consider the cost and time of hauling the boat and painting each time—the stuff is very reasonable. I figure, if I get five years out of it, it will have paid for itself. If it lasts the ten they say it will... I'll be seriously ahead of the game... and if I can get 14 years out of it like Sherri has, I'll be very happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
One thing I've been thinking about in terms of cutting down hassle and cost of cruising - long term anti-foul. Nothing irritates more than a boat that gets messy underwater and there is either no way of getting it properly cleaned or where it can be it's prohibitively expensive.

Have a look at coppercoat.com - it comes with a lot of good credentials and reports. It is a whole lot more expensive than an ordinary anti-foul and the prep is a wole lot more arduous but I reckon I'd rather deal with that while I'm at home than have an on-going hassle on a cruise. The blurb reckons up to ten years of protection - that's long enough for most cruises.

And no, I have no connection of any sort to the product, it just seems a good way to cut some of the grind out of boat maintenance while cruising.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 01-17-2009 at 09:01 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook