SailNet Community - View Single Post - Heaving to on Tayana 37
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2009

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Actually the main is sheeted the same as on a close haul....about 10 degrees or so off centerline. The 90 degree estimate is just that an estimate and maybe I'm lying up to 80, but not much lower. The reason is that I have too much head sail out for the conditions, but I wanted to try to dublicate the boat's behavior under much more severe conditions. I'm doing this in 20 plus knots and that is not much for a heavy full keel boat. I'ld just like to know how others with a simular boat have achieved hove to under a more severe condition. As an aside, I have hove to under 50 knot wind gust in order to reef the main. At the time I was close hauled in around 20 knots under full sail in protected waters. A wind gust hit the boat and water came up to the portholes. It all happened so quickly that I didn't have time to think...just put the boat through a tack and hove to. I spent the next few minutes putting a reef in the main....By the time I had the first reef in, the wind had moderated back to 20 or so I didn't bother to put the second reef in. I hove to under starboard tack so that the halyards and reef lines were all on the starboard side which was easier to work on since the port side rail was in the water. I would not have wanted to do this with large seas running...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook