SailNet Community - View Single Post - Personal experience with a Whitby 42?
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2009
Casting off May 2009

lassrl is on a distinguished road
Hi Scove,

We just purchased a Whitby 42 in August... looking forward to lifting the anchor in May this year and cruising full time. Our price point required purchasing a bit of a 'fixer-upper' so we have a lot of work to do before then!

We too were impressed with the Whitby's credentials. I'm sure you have already searched for and found a number of positive reviews on the internet. Faster mentioned 'Jeff H' - some of his past postings on SailNet are quite favorable toward the Whitby so search the SailNet archives if you haven't already. Another positive review by Jack Horner can be found on the boatus website. Although he erroneously states (as did Camaraderie) that the hull/deck joint is not through-bolted. It is through-bolted on all Whitby 42s.

Your absolute best resource will be Douglas Stephenson. He worked in the Canadian Whitby factory for many years and is currently a broker specializing in Whitbys. His wealth of knowledge and eagerness to share it really helped 'seal the deal' when it came time for us to make a decision. He even spent two days on the boat with us showing us everything about the systems and handling her. How many brokers will do that for you?? Doug has kept tabs on nearly the whole fleet of Whitbys and I am sure he would be able to put you in touch with somebody in Northwest US/Southwest Canada that could give you a tour. I vaguely recall, from when I was looking, there were one or two for sale in the Seattle area and another in the Alaskan panhandle.

Doug can be reached at
Yachts with Experience
yachts@yachtsls.com
Phone: (705) 527-0442 Fax: (705) 527-0967
Mail: Trawlers & Sailing Yachts Inc.
PO Box 333, Midland, Ont., L4R 4L1

Doug can also verify for you, from his personal knowledge of the manufacturing process, the deck/hull joint is through-bolted.

Another thing that drew us to the Whitbys was it's very active and friendly owners association. They have a new website that has come a long way in a very short time and is still improving - Whitby Brewer Sailboat Association. There is an annual owners reunion in Annapolis in Late September/early October.

There is also a very active list server with many very knowledgeable owners. WhitbyBrewerSailboats : Whitby & Brewer Sailboat Group.

As with any boat this age a good survey is paramount.

Sorry, I can't speak to having kids on board but I'll do my best to answer any questions you have. Hope you find the Whitby to your liking and maybe we'll cross paths out there someday.

Scott
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook