SailNet Community - View Single Post - Smart Pilot Raymarine X5 Wheel Pilot
View Single Post
post #11 of Old 01-19-2009
FishFinder

I waited all summer for the X-5, Raymarine kept delaying the release so I gave up and got the S1. I've never used an autopilot before, but the S1 seems pretty solid to me. It really increases the enjoyment I get out of sailing especially since I'm solo a lot of the time ... got it linked to my GPS which is really nice. Seems plenty powerful for my 30ft boat. Issues I've had so far -- a couple times the autopilot has suddenly stopped tracking a course without warning, and the autopilot's compass doesn't match my boat's compass despite calibration (could be a mounting location problem).

Installing the rudder sensor didn't bother me that much, from what I understand having a rudder sensor is a good thing ... should increase the accuracy of the autopilot (it's still available for the X-5 as an upgrade, and IIRC the better Raymarine autopilots will still include the rudder sensor). The toughest part for me was removing the wheel, it was really stuck on, had to buy a gear puller. Here is my mount for the rudder position sensor, just took a little bit of planning (Halekai AKA Maine Sail's posts helped me out for inspiration):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rudder port_1.jpg (62.8 KB, 343 views)

1980 S2 9.2A (30') in Anacortes, WA
Aux power 13hp Volvo MD7A
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome