SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina 42 vs 400 MK II (new)
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009

ssilver140 is on a distinguished road
I purchased a 3 cabin c400 (hull no. 308) new in 2004. There were a number of things I prefered about the 400 vs the 42, but either way we were getting a 3 cabin as we cruise often with our 2 kids who were then approacing their teen years and we wanted a cabin for each. One difference in the cabin that really pushed the family to the 400 was the galley configuration. In the 400 the galley is aft in both the 2 and 3 cabin versions. In the 42, the 3 cabin layout puts the galley on the side of the main cabin, and you lose the settee that otherwise would be on the starboard side, leaving seating only around the table. As I general matter I prefer to have the gally aft and think the 400 cabin is a more open feel that the 42. Clearly a compomise on the master cabin, but I have no issue with the forward cabin on the 400, but realized at the time that a 3 cabin 400 was not very popular and could hurt resale when that time comes. In retrospect having had the boat for 5 seasons now we are very happy with our choice.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook