SailNet Community - View Single Post - McGregor 36 Catamaran
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009

Karocky1 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up 36' Mac Cat

There are 3 in Racine Wis. Racine Yacht Club Members. 1 is for sale $18,000. I have all original sales materials from dealer including owners manuals, original factory test results and color brochures. There were 300 built by MacGregor between 1979-82.
In my oppinion they were before there time. With some modern sails and very slight rigging adjustments, they can reach 22+knots easily. Hang on!
I added UK Tape Drive Sails. Floats on the top are for the fearful not a stock item. They are trailorable but do not recomend. Mine is fully loaded from the factory. For the money you won't find anything better.
Alot of these boats were flipped in the beginning for lack of knowledge of what a "GIANT" beach cat can do for the times. So there are not many left. You have questions I would love to answer them.
My perticular boat has great history of many victories form Galveston Texas, to Florida and beyond. The original Captain quite a single handed sailor. Now though, day sailing in the Great Lake of Michigan. Yacht Club Members always ask me how long it takes me to sail from port to port. I crossed Lake Michigan in 5 hours.
I did almost flip it in the summer of 2007, but my 18' Hobie Cat experience saved the boat and 8 on board. We were flying a hull from Racine to Kenosha when a gust hit and took her up to the edge. Bailed the Main and turned into the wind, down she came. Crew hanging from the life lines like flags. This boat is a RUSH!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook