SailNet Community - View Single Post - No Liveaboard friendly Marinas? Where do you dock?
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009

macfhearguis is on a distinguished road
No Liveaboard friendly Marinas? Where do you dock?

So, given this trend toward fewer and fewer liveaboard friendly marinas,
where could one moor/dock/drop anchor other than a marina?

I will assume that many sailors who live on their boats for any extended period of time (i.e. a couple of years+) and are not independently wealthy, do have a job on land somewhere.
Is this a fair assumption?
If not, I would sure love to hear about any viable source of income that can be maintained at sea.
But,
I'm going to continue to assume that most out there probably have held a land based job at some point while they are living on their boats.

So my question is; if there are no Liveaboard friendly marinas in the area of your land-based job (or they are all full, etc.), where do you anchor to sleep?
Where do you keep your boat during days at work?
For you folks with smaller boats that do not have a shower in the WC, where do you bathe?

I'm not particularly interested in hearing the stories of those who saved up for 10+ years for the money to cruise for 2-3 years.
Nor am I interested in hearing the about the monthly budgets of the extremely wealthy.

I'm interested in how regular people, with regular jobs are able to live on their sailboats for years upon end.

Let's hear it!

Thanks to all who respond.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook