SailNet Community - View Single Post - No Liveaboard friendly Marinas? Where do you dock?
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
We are retired teachers (obviously moderate incomes) and have been living aboard since 1972. I would not agree that there has been a decrease in liveaboard opportunities, but I know that there have been difficulties in finding a long term liveaboard slip in some areas for decades. I will say that there are a greater number of marinas that have liveaboards, but post a notice that they do not allow liveaboards and will respond to phone inquiries that they do not allow liveaboards. Talk to dock managers in person , better yet present yourself at the dock with your boat in good condition and rent a slip. with the open declaration that you want to spend a lot of time on your boat. Ask if there are restrictions to the length of staying aboard. Walk the docks. Ask other boat owners about the policy and who to talk to. Present yourself as a respectable amiable person. Maybe suggest that you are interested in staying on your boat during the time of your employment. I stayed at one marina that didn't accept liveaboards, but allowed me to stay "during the time of my employment" for 21 years. Marina owners and management don't want to be confronted with "livingaboard" as a problematic issue, but they are likely to accept the payment and presence of responsible boaters who are not going to be a liability to their business. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook